Saturday, June 10, 2006

Bees

I wish The Spouse hadn't taken the camera with him to a party. I wish Blogger was letting us upload pictures. If both of these wishes came true I could show you pictures of very busy bees. I have a lot of creeping thyme in the front rose beds as groundcover. I love it because it spreads all over (I pretty much have a carpet of it in one bed now, off of maybe 6 tiny original plants). Weeds grow up through it but they are easy to pull and the thyme is very forgiving.

Right about now the thyme is in full bloom, thousands and millions of teeny purple flowers all over the place. And the bees are wild for them. I was weeding today (seemed appropriate as it's been, what, 3 weeks?) and it was a little precarious. The bees were everywhere and they were humming like mad. It was quite noisy, down there on my knees. And precarious. Before I'd pull a tuft of crabgrass or a sprig of dandelion I'd sort of wave my hand over it first, a little "Hey, I'm coming" kind of warning to the bees. They'd fly up and move over, I'd pull the weed and then they'd fly up and settle back where they'd been. It was all very cooperative and civilized but I kept thinking about the time at a cocktail party when a bee stung me right above my wedding band. That wasn't pleasant.

Anyway, inbetween pulling weeds I was watching the bees, their legs fat with dark orange pollen. It was something to see. And me without a camera.

5 Comments:

Blogger Grish said...

I always kick myself for not having a camera with me. It always seems like everything good happens when I'm unprepared!

5:07 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

A GOOD photographer is ALWAYS prepared. (I'm getting better but I was on the beach the other day and there was a great shot but no camera. I went and got my camera out of the car and then it sat in my bag all day untouched. The shot was gone. I'd missed my moment.)

5:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

It's true. I may have to break down and get another camera, something I carry with me at all times. Of course, I don't actually fancy myself a photographer, but I do wish I'd been able to get a shot of those bees!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Middle Child said...

Not sure how to get in touch with Edy as no responses. Is she okay...would you know...if you are in touch with her please send he all my best wishes and a really good big hug...she can no doubt use all the hugs she can get.

also your garden sounds lovely... all the small signs of a spring coming or there...we are drifting into winter ever so slowly...our winters are mild, but its always been Autumn which has my heart...something about the mood of autumn touches me.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Middle Child, I just had an email from her...very brief but she sounds in good spirits. I passed your message along...perhaps she'll send you an e. Take care.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home